Saturday 18 October 2014

Day II Moments and Visual Haiku: other moments

red pen, iPhone and a booklet
I split up day II in two blogposts because there is too much to show to do it all in one (read part I over here). Apart from practicing writing haikus, we went out to photograph moments so we put our intention on moments. One doesn't go hunting for visual haikus, they just emerge out of nowhere.
broken red stick in bits
Yesterday we explored moments in sand, today we started with exploring moments on the street and with leaves in particular. Fallen leaves portray rather literally decay in nature.
I had a lovely day today and I thought I had it all figured out: I thought I understood what the difference was between that and moments.
broken red stick and a leaf
However, looking back at my selection of 15 photos together with the other pupils, I realized that was not the case. There were a lot of that pictures, which I will not show here to make it not confusing for the reader. And I had not shot one visual haiku, unfortunately.
black bird
The components of a visual haiku would be:
1. heaven principle: the space. In yesterday's case that was sand. 
2. earth principle: the moment
3. man principle: something extra, something unexpected or funny
pigeon stepping on a large pattern-like square
Like I said, I didn't come across any visual haikus, but I wrote another one:
the musician is playing a tune
autumn leaves on the ground
the bench feels hard
white dog looking at something 
woman on balcony

footstep in sand
This footstep is almost audible according to our teacher.
plastic cup and leaf 
leaf in sunlight 
white plastic in a field
Today was interesting, fun and instructive all at the same time. Writing a haiku is definitely something one can train, photographing a haiku is a totally different matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...