Wednesday 4 February 2015

Yoga and Art (Yoku): The white canvas of every new day

Last Thursday was another episode of Yoku and this time we experimented with drawing patterns from an inner flow. This technique is called dynamic line drawing as I understood afterwards.
wax crayons
As Vir Kaur was away we didn't have a proper yoga session, but Rosanna gave us a physical warm-up and a proper body scan.
discussing each other's dynamic line drawing
After that we went to our drawing table in a fluent move and choose two colours to our liking from pastel colours or wax crayons. Our assignment was to draw figures preferably with our eyes closed and with our bodies moving during drawing. We then choose a particular pattern which we liked best and on a second piece of paper we drew that pattern, large and small and over the whole sheet. After a few minutes we went to one of our neighbors and talked to another what we saw in each other's work. It was quite interesting to hear what the other person had to say.
practicing dynamic line drawing
Elena during dynamic line drawing
We then had to look at your own work again and enhance or highlight the lines and shapes you saw in it. This was the difficult part for me, I didn't see that much form in my drawing. Rosanna looked at my drawing, gave a few suggestions and I was on my way, but I continued wrestling with it.
four dynamic line drawings in a row
When our time was up we had four totally different works lying on the floor. This never ceases to amaze me, that there is so much difference from one piece to the other. I also noticed that I usually have a lot of white space left on the paper, I don't feel the need to cover the whole sheet of paper with paint or pencil.
my dynamic line drawing
Above is my final dynamic line drawing. I really didn't see that much shape in my drawing and this looks rather like a flattened heart, but maybe that is not a coincidence. I really struggled a lot this time. When I was asked about what I would take home with me it was: "I don't know what I can do with it. I don't know whether it is finished or not."
Does that mean that I struggle with the canvas of every new day? I realize that sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...