Sunday 7 December 2014

Life | scripted

Before Summer I bought this online brush script e-course at StudioCalico.com, taught by artist Kal Barteski. I am a big fan of her work and when I saw this e-course, or classroom as they call it, I immediately signed on thinking I had all Summer to work with it.
life | scripted: lesson 1, thick and thin horizontals
life | scripted, lesson 1: thick and thin horizontal lines
Well, that didn't happen, but yesterday I went to the Chinese bookstore and bought myself some sumi brushes and a bottle of Chinese ink. So half a year later I am drawing straight lines, thick and thin as in the first exercise of lesson 1. The classroom comes with a couple of videos in which Kal Barteski explains about the brushes, how to use and clean them and explaining the exercises. She is a real enthusiastic lady and that works great for me.
life | scripted, lesson 1: diagonal lines
life | scripted, lesson 1: diagonal lines
The next exercise is to draw random diagonal lines, this is to break loose of the habit of drawing to horizontals: here also thick and thin lines and those wavelike lines.
life | scripted, lesson 1: diagonal lines
life | scripted, lesson 1: diagonal lines
The picture above is my favorite of the day: I quite like how the lines came out. Of course that is totally irrelevant as it is only an exercise, but I loved holding the brush, dipping it in ink (I use ink, Kal uses gouache) and seeing the ink appear on paper. I can totally understand why Kal is so passionate about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...