Tuesday 3 March 2015

Safety

A few weeks ago I had lunch with an ex colleague, someone I see so every now and then. This meeting was scheduled already in November, but was postponed and postponed again. Finally we hàd to meet because we had so much to tell each other.
boy climbing on letter E
boy climbing on letter E
After all the latest news in our lives, holidays etc. she told me she a big photography project for me and she was sure I was able to do it. She explained a little about it and we made an appointment for the following week to go over the details.
bus and tram lane
bus and tram lane
So the following Friday I went to her new work place, she works at the Marketing Department for a different faculty now (Social Sciences), and she explained me all about the commission. It was three folded, she asked me:

  • to take a double portrait of two professors (done just before my visit to Venice)
  • to take photographs during specific classes
  • and to take photographs to fill their photo bank in the area of Social Sciences.
fallen bicycle with red car
fallen bicycle with red car
Last Saturday I was with two Miksang friends and we went for a Miksang walk around town. I put my intention on Safety, safety in the widest sense of the word. In this post I show you a selection on this theme.
shadows of poles on a bicycle lane
shadows of poles on a bicycle lane
pedestrians behind the fence of the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam
pedestrians behind the fence of the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam
red bell on a black bicycle
red bell on a black bicycle
It was a bit bizarre to do contemplative photography whilst having this theme in my mind, it's so different than all the other intentions we used to work with. At every flash of perception I asked myself if this was about safety (or the lack of). Also, I couldn't take recognizable photos of people because of rights' issues. 
rollerbladers in the Vondelpark, Amsterdam
rollerbladers in the Vondelpark, Amsterdam
These pictures are not purely contemplative, as I sometimes put more in the image than what I actually saw in the first place. That is ok for me, I don't beat myself over the head about that.
chained red chairs at Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam
chained red chairs at Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam
I sent them off Saturday night and yesterday I saw her briefly and she was very enthoustiastic about the images. Phew, what a relief! You never know what the expectations of the commissioner are. This feels like doing more commissions. Anyone?
surveillance camera
surveillance camera

crossing female pedestrian
crossing female pedestrian
shadow of a man on bicycle, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam
shadow of a man on bicycle, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...